Tsunami events on the West Coast of Banten were not triggered by earthquakes. The Meteorology and Geophysics Agency presents a temporary analysis of the causes of the tsunami.
Following is the official statement from the Head of BMKG, Dwikorita Karnawati:
Looking at the tsunami incident on the West Coast of Banten Province on December 22, 2018, at around 21.27 West Indonesian Time, the Meteorology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) delivered the following responses:
A. High Waves Because of Weather
- BMKG detects and provides high-wave early warnings that are in effect December 22 at 07.00 until December 25 at 07.00 (warning attached) in the Sunda Strait waters.
- At 09.11.00 there was heavy rain and strong winds in the waters of Anyer (from the BMKG field team report)
B. Eruption of Mount Anak Krakatau
- BMKG cooperates with the Geological Agency to report at 21.03 p.m. Mount Krakatau Eruptions again so that local seismometer equipment is damaged, but the seismic Serung Station records continuous tremors (no suspicious high frequency)
- Based on seismic recordings and public reports, this event was not caused by tectonic earthquake activity but the Cigeulis sensor (CGJI) noted a 24-second duration of seismic activity with a frequency of 8-16 Hz at 21.03.24 WIB.
C Tsunami in Banten and Lampung
- Based on the observations of tidegauge (temporary), the data obtained are as follows:
a. Serang Tidegauge in Jambu Beach, Bulakan Village, Kec Cinangka, Serang District, at 9:27 p.m. at an altitude of 0.9 M.
b. Tidegauge Banten in the Ciwandan port of Ciwandan sub-district was recorded at 21.33 WIB, a height of 0.35 M.
c. Tidegauge Kota Agung in Kota Agung Village, Kota AGung Subdistrict, Lampung, was recorded at 9:35 p.m. the height of 0.36 m.
d. Tidegauge Long Port, Length of Bandar Lampung City, at 21.53 West Indonesia, 0.28 m high.
The community is encouraged to remain calm and not be affected by issues that cannot be justified. Also urged to stay away from the beaches of the Sunda Strait waters, until there is a development of information from BMKG and the Geological Agency …
This article has been aired on bangkapos.com with the title High Wave Plus the Tsunami Tsunami Banten and Lampung, Here Are Three Important Points BMKG Statement, http://bangka.tribunnews.com/2018/12/23/gelombang-tinggi-ditambah-tsunami- landa-banten-and-lampung-here’s-three-point-important-statement-bmkg.